Lawful internet investigations
This course is designed to provide guidance to using the internet as an effective investigation and research tool.
The focus is on network information that will identify research and evidence opportunities and enable the investigator to conduct the research in a secure and ethical manner.
The course links research on the internet with further research and evidence opportunities using powers under RIPA to acquire communications data.
All investigators and those who supervise access to internet investigations
To enable delegates to effectively source information from the internet
On course completion, delegates should be able to:
- understand basic network technology
- identify data generated and available for investigation
- identify privacy, traceability, and security issues related to internet investigations
- understand when appropriate authorisation is required under legislation including the Regulation of Investigatory Powers Act 2000
- use search engines and other available indexes to research names, addresses, phone numbers, email addresses, websites and other subject areas
- evaluate evidential worth of information obtained
- research social networking sites such as Facebook and Twitter, effectively and in accordance with Human Rights and current guidance
- identify information and evidence available from email and internet use by using acquisition of communications data powers under RIPA
- secure information and evidence from internet research by using appropriate software to secure website content and other content to a standard acceptable in criminal proceedings
- identify best practice by examination of recent relevant case law and findings
- refer to recent case studies to identify best practice and consequences of failure to comply with the Act
PowerPoint presentation, flipchart explanation, group discussion, individual tuition and practical exercises
open course locations, costs and booking
Social network investigations
RIPA: Communications data for investigators
Support information for investigators